“The feelings you experience, positive or negative, are there for a reason.”
“Situations cannot create feelings – only your thoughts about the situation can.”
Lessons learned in therapy
- Situations cannot create feelings – only your thoughts about the situation can.
- Notice unhelpful thoughts. Replace them with helpful thoughts.
- Take note of which behaviors make you feel better or worse.
- Turn your focus to the task or environment.
- Avoidance makes anxiety worse.
- Act the want you want to be, no matter how you feel.
- Let go of expectations.
I came across this post on Pinterest and love the core concepts she draws out and it serves as a great reminder for how we can handle tough situations. Please visit the full blog post to learn more about it.
“We can feel emotions that contradict each other at the same time.”
-Sara Kuburic, MA, CCC
- We can feel more than one emotion at once
- We can feel emotions that contradict each other at the same time
- Emotions reflect our experience (but they don’t always accurately represent the situation)
- Emotions are worth validating (regardless if they are ‘positive’ or ‘negative’)
This is such a great account to follow on instagram, constant reminders and helpful words to live by. I’ve screenshot more of her posts than I can count and always go back to read them.